Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Elder Hollandddddddd


's son spoke at our Sunday devotional! Sorry for the disappointment in the title, just couldn't pass up the opportunity haha. It was a great talk and he looked a lot like Elder Holland spoke even more like him, it was scary.

The first few days in the MTC were rough, but our district pulled through. We were told about a billion times that it would go by faster once we reached Sunday and I guess it has started to pick up.

I was picked up at the curb on Wednesday by Elder Fairborn who was going to Texas Spanish speaking. It was stressful for the first hour because he took me everywhere I needed to go to get everything and then we got to the residence hall and he was like time to go to class grab this and this and this but forgot to tell me to grab my text books! Strike 1 Elder Fairborn, so I once I got to class, Brother Yuen, our Thai teacher, asked me where my blue bag was and I told him back in the residence so I had to go with one of the Elders and it was kinda awkward because we were both a little anxious so we didn't talk much. Elder Fairborn also told me I could take my orange dot off if I got annoyed because we heard "Welcome to the MTC!" about every 5 seconds. So I took it off but later got in trouble from an older Sister saying I couldn't so I had to get it back out and put it on and continue to be embarrassed haha. Strike 2 Elder Fairborn. But in reality, he did a good job of hosting. I met my companion about an hour later and it is Elder Kekauoha, he is from LA with Hawaiian and Japanese heritage. He speaks Spanish and Japanese but for some reason got assigned to Thailand, wild. He is literally one of the funniest guys I have ever met and our district is so tight. It seems like we have a lot more fun than any other district which sounds bad but I already have about a third of the core memorized in a few days so we are getting it done.

We are teaching an "investigator" named Phii Cee (J). He is white and Bro. Yuen told us that he is in fact a member who served in Thailand but is imitating an investigator he taught. He is progressing well and praying with his family and reading the BoM to know of its truth. It is crazy that in just a few days that we are able to understand at least what Cee is talking about. Yesterday we were actually able to answer his questions and introduced the BoM so it went well. We have 2 lessons left with him to try and get a baptismal commitment.

The language is crazy. It sounds like Indian French Mandarin. The tones are difficult but not as hard as I thought, it is mostly because the words of the gospel are sooo similar and very long

(This was all we got and then he emailed us and sent us this:)

GUYS IM SO SORRY WE EMAILED IN THE MORNING FOR A VERY SHORT TIME AND THEN THE INTERNET WAS KNOCKED OUT. THEY ARE ALLOWING US TO EMAIL TOMORROW SO I WILL CONTINUE THIS EMAIL AND RESPOND TO EVERYONE.

(Elder Brown was able to hop on again today and finish his email)

Btw, so far I have seen Elder Hunter, Elder Loy, Sister Doezie, Sister Jones, Sister Call.

The MTC is nothing like I expected. I expected a lot more centralization but really there is a lot more freedom than I thought. For example, we have a 3-hour block of time for personal study, companionship study, and language study that we have no teacher for. At first, we did not use this time constructively and goofed off but finally we realized what we needed to get done. I have over 100 core words memorized and continue to learn, so the language is progressing well, I try to use it as much as I can and none of the other Elders understand what I am saying. What's funny is we will write slang we want translated into Thai for our teacher to see even though the phrases have no relevance. Things like dips like ranch, lit, haha our teacher sometimes just doesn't anything and just laughs.

I love our teacher, and the other Thai district's teacher as well, Brother Saunders. They were surprisingly MTC companions and are crazy good at the language even though Saunders is white haha Brother Yuen is Japanese-Hawaiian just like my companion and speaks very well. We have not begun learning script yet so I can only speak in romanized Thai. Something like this (except without tones)

Pom rak rian phasaa Thai, row yaak rian took phasaa taw mai suamaad dani.

That won't translate because it is romanized and I changed the romanization around because certain combinations of letters are different. I said I love to learn the Thai language, we want to learn all of the language but we can not right now. It is extremely difficult but we go day by day learning as many words as we can.

P-day was a good break from the daily routine and the Provo temple is veryyy different from Newport, or LA, or SD. Much more efficient, sessions start every 20 minutes. My entire p-day was thrown off because we waited in a long line for the sack breakfast line, which is different from where you normally eat, and then me and the DL Elder Wilcox were told we couldn't get food unless we had our ID cards. So me and him went on exchange to go get ours, but he didn't know where it was (it wasn't me this time haha) and it took forever so I walked in looked on top of his cabinet grabbed it and gave it to him, I felt like Mom and Elder Wilcox was me. So that threw off our laundry schedule, we missed gym time, laundry took forever because we were there late and got last picks on machines. During laundry we had to go to the store and hope our hangars didnt get stolen when we went, and bought some things we needed. So I am extremely sorry for not being able to email yesterday. I thought I would have more time but I received a notice to receive a JE vaccination and then we had to go get changed to get lunch then temple was straight after at 1 and then after that the internet went down. I knew I disappointed people, I really didn't have much time in the morning but I am trying to make up for it.

That night Neil L. Anderson came and spoke to us during the devotional which was really cool and motivated the missionaries going to low-baptism rate missions.

Ask me questions and I will answer them next email!

Also thanks to everyone for the packages and letters, I can really feel the love all the way here in Provo!

Chok dii!!

No comments:

Post a Comment