Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Our zone has disappeared - Week #3


Nothing much happened this week, only a few noteworthy items.

Firstly, the Phii Thais (the Thai elders and sisters who reported 9 weeks ago) left yesterday at 4:20 in the morning. It is crazy that in just one transfer we will probably be able to see them. The Cambodians and Mongolians that reported 9 weeks ago leave today at around noon. So our zone went from being one of the largest with over a hundred to being small once again, about half of the elders and sisters have left or will leave. Before this the only departure we had was Elder Bastian, one of the ZLs who was a solo missionary like Elder Willes but no one else in the MTC was speaking his language though, which is Hmong and he went to Milwaukee, weird. So gym days are quiet now, and they will be until Friday when all the new Wednesday missionaries have their first gym day. It is crazy to think that I have been here 3 weeks because I can still remember the anticipation for my first gym day.

Secondly, we taught a wild lesson yesterday to our investigator Phii Mai, who is our teacher Brother Omer. Brother Omer also played the role of our first investigator Phii J, so it is a little weird. We went into the lesson prepared to teach about the full gospel of Jesus Christ lesson but instead we felt prompted to ask about how his reading of the Book of Mormon was coming along. When he said his prayers felt good (he always just says dii, phom ruu sxg dii so we had to get more out of him) I testified that he could receive answers to his questions if he both prayed and read the Book of Mormon. I then asked about what he knew about Joseph Smith and it took off from there. We taught a whole lesson simply answering his questions about the restoration in Thai. They were tough questions too but I was able to muster the words in Thai that I needed for him to understand. We had him read five huge verses in Thai about the First Vision so we are going to touch on that in our next lesson. We asked if he would be baptized (our other investigator committed! Though he did ask if he didn't feel ready if he could back out so we are unsure exactly where he is at) and he said I don't know, so I told him we would return and ask if he was ready and he should pray and read in the meantime.

Other than that, the only other major event going on is we have finally started to learn scripp (as Elder Decker would say, he is one of the funniest kids I have ever met) and it is crazy. There are 44 consonants I think and close to 30 vowels. The tone marks change depending on what class consonant it is so it all just doesn't make sense but I don't question it and just learn it. I can write a few things in Thai and I can read Jesus Christ and Book of Mormon but it is very difficult. It is coming though, it is coming. I wish I could type some Thai but there is no option for it haha.

I am so sad I missed out on an eventful weekend with the family! I am so proud of Hayden and Makayla (I hope I spelled that right) and I congratulate them and wish them all the best! From the pictures it looks like it was a lot of fun! When are Griff and Toni getting sealed? I am having a hard time remembering because time is non-existent in this place haha. Sometimes we will wake up and think that it is a completely different day. I am so glad that Elder Willes joined me this week! He is in the class building right across from me and I have talked to him twice, I am not sure when his PDay is though. Being a solo missionary is tough but it is sweet as well, we had two in our zone at one point. They just get to float around with different companions.

I said goodbye to Elder Hunter yesterday and that was sad, because now we actually won't see each other for two years but he is going to kill it. There is an elder that came into his zone who speaks only Spanish and he has to learn English to learn Turkish so mad respect for him, such a nice guy.

I love and miss you all! Thank you for the letters, emails, and packages!

No comments:

Post a Comment